Founded in 1882 by 22 prominent Philadelphians and incorporated by the State of Pennsylvania in 1889, The Racquet Club had two previous clubhouses before Horace Trumbauer was appointed to design the current clubhouse in 1907. The first clubhouse was located at 913 Carpenter Street from 1885-1889 and had two Racquets courts in the backyard. Another clubhouse was purchased in 1889 at 923 Walnut Street which was home to the first regulation squash racquet court in Philadelphia.
The 215 S. 16th Street Clubhouse is one of the first reinforced concrete structures designed in Philadelphia, and also includes the world’s first above grade swimming pool, designed by the noted bridge builders, Roebling Construction Company. The building’s red-brick, Georgian design, is evocative of historic Philadelphia, and the Clubhouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
The Club has six international singles squash court, one court tennis court, one racquets court, and one doubles squash court. Over 800 members utilize these facilities on a daily basis and call this Clubhouse their home away from home.